Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chicken, Chicken and More Chicken!!!

I don't know about anyone else but chicken was a main protein that my family ate on a weekly basis. I can remember my dad  making chicken a thousand ways and let's say most of them did not please everyone. So as a "Single Lady that Cookz, I always see chicken at the grocery store and sorta cringe, not knowing how to make this protein different than the thousands of times that I have had it before. On  my weekly trip to the store I came upon chicken tenders- chicken tenders are great for a single person the tenders allow so many possibilities and that is why I have learned to like this cut of chicken. So now that I am home from the grocery store what should I do with this lovely protein? I decided to make Chicken and Rice Stew- not really a stew but a play on the old southern favorite smothered chicken and rice.

Ingredients
Cooking Time- 45 minutes.

3 cups of Chicken Broth- low sodium is best since you determine your salt intake.
1 medium onion- sliced long
1 cup of rice- I will have leftovers to carry to work, yeah!!!
Chicken tenders
2 tablespoons of flour
2 tablespoons of oil
salt & pepper to taste.

______________________________________________________________
1. Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper. I also cut the tenders in half.

2. I have a grill that I put on top of the stove to cook it is great or you can use your George Foreman Grill it is all the same.

3. Cut the medium onion into slices about 1/2 thick.

4. Pour two cups of the chicken broth into a small pot for the rice. If you have chicken bouillon you can use that instead of the broth. It is probably best that you do not add any salt to the water if you use the cubes or paste since it is quite salty.

5. Let the water boil and add 1 cup of rice. This should take from 15-20 minutes. Stir often and place a top on the pot.

6. In a skillet add 2 tablespoons of oil, let it warm before adding the flour, you don't want to see smoke coming from the skillet.

7. Add the flour to the skillet, season with a pinch of salt and pepper.

8. Add onions and stir with a spoon. Do not use a plastic spoon it is likely to melt.

9. Add the last cup of water to flour paste, please be careful the mixture is very hot.

10. Stir the gravy slowly, you may add more water. This gravy is suppose to be a stew consistency so the mixture will not be as thick as your normal gravy.

11. Add the chicken in the mixture with onions and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.

12. Once the rice is ready you can place the sauce and chicken on top and enjoy this wonderful dish.

Add ins: I have added before mushrooms to the gravy mixture, I forgot to get them while I was at the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment